- Publications & Research Results
Publications & Research Results
International Survey on Stakeholders' Perception of the Concept of Extended Producer Responsibility and Product Stewardship
Outline of the Report
Extended Producer Responsibility (EPR), as well as product stewardship (PS), has been one of the most important ideas for waste management policy in the world for the last two decades. However, different stakeholders perceive the concept and the role of producers in various ways. In order to identify how differently various stakeholders in different countries perceive the concept, the authors conducted an international survey on stakeholders' perception of EPR/PS in 2013 and received responses from 426 experts from all over the world.
The items surveyed includes that aims of EPR/PS, application and rationale of EPR/PS, type of responsibility, scope of "producer", opinions about statements relating to EPR/PS. The report presents these results and differences of the perception between different countries/regions, different product categories, and different types of stakeholders, as well as open answers from respondents.
This survey was conducted by researchers from International Institute for Industrial Environmental Economics (IIIEE), Lund University, Sweden and Center for Material Cycles and Waste Management Research (CMW), National Institute for Environmental Studies (NIES), Japan.
Relevant Research Publications by the Authors
- Ori A., Terazono A., Kojima M., Tasaki T., Hotta Y. (2014) Recommendations for Updating the OECD Guidance Manual on EPR from Japanese Experts (Draft), Distributed at the OECD Global Forum on Environment, Tokyo, Japan 17-19 June, 2014
- Tasaki T. (2014) Insights from the Asia Pacific Region - Examples from Japan. OECD Global Forum on Environment: Promoting Sustainable Materials Management through Extended Producer Responsibility
- Tasaki T. (2014) The Recycling Scheme for Compact Rechargeable Batteries in Japan - under the Act on the Promotion of Effective Utilization of Resources. Background documents of OECD Global Forum on Environment, EPR case studies, 20p.
- Hotta Y., Santo A., Tasaki T. (2014) EPR-based Electronic Home Appliance Recycling System under Home Appliance Recycling Act of Japan. Background documents of OECD Global Forum on Environment, EPR case studies, 29p.
- Tasaki T., Tojo N., Lindhqvist T. (2014) International Survey on Stakeholders' Perception of the Concept of Extended Producer Responsibility. Abstracts of the 3R International Scientific Conference on Material Cycles and Waste Management, 2C-1-01
- Tasaki, T., Tojo, N., Lindhqvist, T. (2013) A Survey on Japanese Stakeholders' Perception of the Concept of Extended Producer Responsibility. Program of the 2013 Conference of the Society for Environmental Economics and Policy Studies. (in Japanese)
- Lifset, R., Atasu, A., Tojo, N. (2013) Extended Producer Responsibility - National, International, and Practical Perspectives. Journal of Industrial Ecology, 17 (2), 162-166.
- Tasaki, T., Tojo, N. (2011) Government involvement in EPR and waste management policy - Based on two cases in California, U.S.. Proceedings for the 22st annual conference of Japan Society of Material Cycles and Waste Management, 55-56 (in Japanese with English abstract)6
- Tasaki, T., Numata, D., Matsumoto, T., Tojo, N. (2010) Reframing the Concept of Collection Systems with Economic Incentives - Based on the Review of Deposit-Refund Systems and Point Systems. Summary of Research Report of the National Institute for Environmental Studies, Japan, No.205, 17p.
- Tasaki T. (2008) Experiences of Japanese Container and Packaging Recycling Act. ISWA2008 Paper Summaries Book, Supplemental file
- Manomaivibool, P., Lindhqvist, T., Tojo, N. (2009) Extended Producer Responsibility in a Non-OECD Context: The management of waste electrical and electronic equipment in Thailand. Report, IIIEE at Lund University.
- Manomaivibool, P., Lindhqvist, T., Tojo, N. (2007) Extended Producer Responsibility in a Non-OECD Context: The management of waste electrical and electronic equipment in India. Report, IIIEE at Lund University.
- Tasaki, T., Terazono, A., Moriguchi, Y. (2007) An evaluation of the first five years after enactment of the Japanese WEEE Recycling Act and the current state. Sardinia 2007, 11th International waste management and landfill symposium proceedings, Supplemental file.
- Tasaki, T. (ed.) (2006) An Evaluation of Actual Effectiveness of the Recycling Law for Electrical Home Appliances. Research Report of the National Institute for Environmental Studies, Japan, No.191, 196p. (in Japanese)
- Tojo, N. (2004) Extended Producer Responsibility as a Driver for Design Change - Utopia or Reality? Doctoral dissertation, Lund University, Sweden.
- Lindhqvist, T. (2000) Extended Producer Responsibility in Cleaner Production: Policy Principle to Promote Environmental Improvements of Product Systems, Doctoral dissertation, Lund University, Sweden.
- Tomohiro Tasaki
- Head of Sustainable Material Cycle Systems Section,
Center for Material Cycles and Waste Management Research,
National Institute for Environmental Studies